Saturday, November 20, 2010

it's just not right...!





The weather has been unseasonably warm - and then this morning, the snow came.




My trees and garden plants still have leaves - even the Mimosa, which is usually bare in mid October! My fuchsias are still blooming, and the basket with the geraniums and lobelia is still in full bloom.





Then, to top it off, while I was taking photos, a hummingbird came to the window!!!



What is going on?

I phoned the Wild Birds Unlimited store, as I had taken my feeders down a week ago.
Turns out the little hummingbird is a female Anna's Hummingbird, and she will stay here all winter. The males have done their job, and have flown down to Mexico. Typical males... ah, just kidding! Anyway, for anyone interested, the feeders can be put out during the daylight, take them in at night so that the syrup is at room temperature, and make the mixture 3 cups water to 1 part white sugar. That will keep them going. The nesting season for hummingbirds is in February.

As I was sitting at the kitchen table writing this, the little female flew to the window where the feeder was, looking for her food. Be patient little one, it will be out within the hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!